Saturday, April 29, 2006

CBS


Shortly after we started attending the Missionary Alliance church, I met another young mom who was in the process of moving away from the area. We had several chances to talk while we fed our daughters, and when she learned where we lived (a sizeable distance from the church in an easterly direction) she highly recommended a Community Bible Study close to where we live. She mentioned that they met all together and then broke off into groups. The new moms got the room with couches and were free to keep infants with them or not. She said she thought it was at one of the Lutheran churches, but she did not remember the name. I was still getting used to being Megan's mom, and I wasn't ready to make a weekly commitment at the time. But her enthusiasm about her small group made me remember our conversation.

Later in the fall of 2004 I got a slight case of cabin fever. I was more confident taking Megan out of the house without needing two hours of preparation and an un-luggable-ly heavy diaper bag. So, I called all the Lutheran churches in town till found the right meeting place. Their office put me in touch with the right contact person, and she told me what to expect and when and where. Then, I just showed up.

Since then Megan and I have gone almost every Wednesday morning to CBS. We have been studying the minor prophets that deal with the exile and return of the children of Israel. We get a lesson every week that contains a short commentary on the passages as well as questions for us to answer. We meet all together for opening songs, announcements, and the occasional inspirational life story from one of the ladies who attends. We split up into our groups to go through the questions and meet back at the end for a lecture on what was just discussed.

I really need the motivation to be disciplined that weekly accountability gives me. I don't do the work daily (as is recommended), but at least I ensure one or two days of fairly focused study.

I am encouraged every time I go by the spiritual growth that I get to see in the other ladies. In our small group of moms with young kids we have a cross-section of evangelical, economic, and family backgrounds. Some of the ladies have been saved since they were five and grew up hearing all about the Bible. Others came to Christ just in the last few years and are learning basic truths for the first time. To see the change that Jesus makes in each of their lives has meant much. I know that experiential knowledge is not the basis for faith. Even if none of them "felt" the right things, God's Word would still be true. But sometimes when I doubt things I should know for sure, watching someone else grow makes a crucial difference. I am thankful for the depth of conversation that the intentional study of God's Word produces.

That CBS provides childcare seems like icing on the cake, but it's more central than you might think. Being able to keep Megan with me for the first few months I went was what helped me decide to try it in the first place. Having a nursery (and later, more a more structured "Sunday School" flavored program) where I can comfortably drop her off allows me adult conversation about something besides surface things like the weather, illness, and Vikings. The teachers who work in those programs every week have my appreciation and admiration.

I was privileged to be able to share some of these things last week during the opening. I thought it would be a good thing to share with you all, too.

No comments: