Friday, April 27, 2007

The Beginning of Why

Megan asked what may have been her first 'why' question a few weeks ago. We were all in the car on the way home from Bible study at the Letelliers, and she had plenty of time and opportunity to notice the darkness outside. She may not have even meant to ask why it was no longer light, but I answered anyway. I explained all about the rotation of the earth in relation to the sun, and Curt chimed in to make sure we knew this view was heliocentric. Megan thought our responses were funny enough to ask the same question repeatedly. (Curt finally turned on the kiddie music.) During the next couple of weeks, we went through the exact same dialogue so many times that she eventually memorized her part. It sounds something like this.

Megan: "Why's it dark, Mommy?"
Sarah: "Why is it dark, Megan?"
Megan: "Da earth."
Sarah: "The earth does what, Megan?"
Megan: "Turns awound fom da sun."
Sarah: "That's right, Megan!"
Megan: giggles
Sarah: "Who thought of that, Megan?"
Megan: "Copp-ern-i-cus!"
Sarah: "That's right, too, Megan!"
Megan: "Good job, Megan!"
Curt: "Say heliocentric, Megan."
Megan: "Good job, Dad. Dat's wight!"


*****

You really had to be there. (Don't you hate it when people say that? sigh :)

6 comments:

Jenny said...

oh, I don't know. I think it's pretty cute and I wasn't there...

givengrace said...

I just love your vocabulary. There are far too few people who'd teach their little ones words like heliocentric. :)

joyfully2b4u said...

that's great! thank you for the laugh--so fun! did you ever get her to say "heliocentric"? just wait till she's older and blows her peers away with such words =)

Brad and Lindy said...

Only your child... ;)

Visual Reflections said...

I can totally picture the conversation! She is gtting so big.

Sharon said...

Noelle just turned 2, and she is in the midst of the whys. They are nowhere near as complex as that thankfully, but I guess we'd better work to get caught up to you all:)